How to install Siebel on Windows 7
As we are progressing to newer versions of windows, we are finding some problems to set up Siebel environment. Most of us want to work on Windows 7 operating system but are stuck with XP just because Siebel won’t work with it. But, that’s not true. Siebel works with Windows 7 just as fine as it runs with Windows xp. So I am writing this article just to save you hours of frustration and search trying to install Siebel on Windows 7.
1. Firstly use Siebel version 8.1.1 or above. If you are going for below that version, then ready to slam your head against your monitor. I am saying Siebel 8.1.1 because it works with both IE 7 and IE 8 smoothly and you won’t be able to install IE 6 on Windows 7. If you are using Siebel version below 8, then I would recommend you stick to XP for now.
2. Locate the executable file in your tools setup (probably with name oui.exe or install.exe), right click on the file and open the properties:
Open the compatibility tab and change the compatibility mode to run the program in compatibility settings for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Now run the installer, it will run just like in xp with no problems.
3. Now go to client exe and do the same things as mentioned in above step for tools(change compatibility settings to windows Xp and install). If you need sample srf, then go to sample install exe and perform the same steps.
4. Configuring the ODBC connections: Now if you go to ODBC connections in control panel, you will find that there are no Siebel connections made in System DSN to configure(for 64 bit OS). Actually connections are made, but you’ll find those in this location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe So configure your database connections and test the connections here.
5. Configure your tools.cfg and client cfg.
6. Now when you’ll try to run your tools and client programs, you’ll get an error. So follow the same procedure as followed while installing. Tools are run by siebdev.exe kept at this location: D:\Siebel\8.1\Tools_1\BIN\siebdev.exe
So right click on siebdev.exe and change its compatibility to run on windows xp(sp3) and for the client change the compatibility settings for Siebel.exe kept at this location: D:\Siebel\8.1\Client_1\BIN\siebel.exe
Now go ahead and run tools and client, you are good to go. This is 100 % working solution to install Siebel on Windows 7, if you find any other problems, check your cfgs and ODBC connections properly. Good Luck.