Access control : Positions and responsibilities are the ways to control the access of users over the application data and views.
-Responsibilities Control Views. -Positions Control Data.
Let’s Start with the Responsibilities.
How to create and manage responsibilities :
– Assigning Responsibilities control the access of users to the views according to their jobs. All the users should not be allowed to see all views for e.g. Administration-views by which you can delete data in application.
– Responsibilities and Views have many-to-many relationship between them. A view can be in many responsibilities and vice-versa.
– Siebel have some pre-made responsibilities but if you want you can create new ones, just go to Administration- Application-> Responsibilities and create a new one according to your need (or job roles for your company).
– Adding view from scratch might be a pain, so you can copy the pre-made responsibilities and add your views to create a new one.
– Clear the responsibility cache after updating a responsibility otherwise they might see old responsibility views even after assignment of new views.
– Responsibilities can also be used to restrict access to Business Processes, Business Services and tasks (This might be required if you want to restrict the invocation of a service or task to some particular users).
– Check the responsibility: To check if the views have been assigned to the responsibility you can assign the responsibility to a user login and check its Site-Map.
– On a Site – Map, A user can see only the views which have been assigned in the responsibility that he has.